Friday, March 28, 2014

One Direction Cookies

I've said it before, I'll say it again: the human capacity for creativity and inventiveness never ceases to amaze me. And I'm so very grateful to live in a time where ideas can be exchanged instantly, and inspiration is just a click away. Like it was in the case of these cookies.

One Direction Cookie Set
This set was requested by a friend for her niece, who is a huge fan of the band. My immediate response when she asked me was pure bafflement: how on earth do you convert real people into cookies? She assured me that she'd checked online and it had been done. I then looked up 'One Direction cookies' and one of the first image hits was this incredibly cute set by Sweet Sugarbelle.

Now I stumbled across Sugarbelle's blog a couple of years ago when I first began decorating, and since then I've been in awe of her work. She possesses a unique knack of creating dramatic designs out of the simplest cutters, and sometimes combination of cutters. See, there's that relentless creativity at work. So she designed this brilliant template of the band members and very generously shared it for free on her blog, along with a tutorial.

One Direction Band Cookies

Sugarbelle uses something called a Kopykake projector, which is designed for use on cakes and other sweets. It projects the design to be piped directly onto the sweet, which makes it very easy to pipe complex patterns. Again, there's that inventiveness: a projector to simplify decorating. Who thinks of all these things?! Sadly, I don't own such a projector so I did it the old-fashioned way: cut out the easier part of the template (which was the face and ears), traced around them with an edible ink marker, and freehanded all those fussy hairstyles in. 

One Direction Cookies with Template

I did not want to replicate Sugarbelle's platter in its entirety, so I added some different designs with the music notes and stars. I took a quick shot of the stars as I worked on them. Cookie decorating doesn't have to be difficult; something as simple as piping dots along the border can also make a big difference.

1D Stars Hearts Music Notes

This set was a first for me in a couple of ways. It's the first set of my cookies to travel; they went from Sydney to Bangalore and survived intact, thank you God! The other 'first' is making cookies based on real people. And of all the people in the world to cookiefy, I'd have never gone in this direction (yes, I absolutely had to say that :D), except for being asked. So a big thank you to my friend for trusting me with this, and a big thank you to Sugarbelle for sharing that super-creative template! I've got to say, despite my personal feelings (or lack thereof!) for the band, I love these little guys :D

One Direction Cookies

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:25 PM

    Generosity it is, when the Almighty shares His Bounty with us in the form of our Mind, Heart, Body... and it's myriad possibilities of endless Creativity which never ceases to amaze us. It is good to know that there are people who similarly share so that others can also enjoy, be inspired and move forward.
    Keep up the good work. There is no greater thanks than understanding the Gifts and going forward to use them and share it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH my God ! I thank you so much aunt Salomie !! I know it's too late and yes, I am Neha , you're friend's niece !! I absolutely loved it! It was so delicious !! Thank you for baking these wonderful cookies !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Neha, thank you so much! Was my pleasure working on this set, so glad you enjoyed them!

      Delete